Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Leftover Rice...

...makes the BEST Rice Pudding!  So, it's probably not surprising that my blog is about food.  I'm a total "foodie" and I love trying new recipes.  Today I searched foodnetwork.com for a yummy looking recipe, but I think I modified it enough to have made my own recipe.  The inspiration recipe was Alton Brown's Indian Rice Pudding.  My recipe is below...

Indian Inspired Rice Pudding

2 c cooked rice
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup half and half
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/8 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
1/3 c sugar
3 T sweetened shredded coconut ( I would have used coconut milk like Alton if I had it, but I didn't, so I threw in some coconut instead)
1/2 c golden raisins
pistachios for garnishing

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine rice and evaporated milk.  Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.  Add half and half, cardamom, nutmeg, sugar and coconut.  Cook until mixture begins to thicken.  Remove from heat and add raisins.  Transfer mixture to ramekins or other serving dish.  Cover the tops with plastic wrap to avoid a "skin" forming on top of pudding while cooling.  Serve chilled or at room temp.  Top with pistachios before serving.  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment