Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

First Post

I've seen some great blogs by friends and family and I thought I have things to share too!  Tonight, I made an amazing dinner with my wonderful hubby and that's when the lightbulb turned on in my head.  I should start a blog with my recipes.  Most of my recipes aren't 100% my own, but truth be told, I almost NEVER follow any recipe directions to a "T".  So, with this recipe, I combined a Guy Fieri chorizo recipe with an Emeril Lagasse calzone recipe, added my own twist and came up with Cheesy Chorizo Calzones.  It was pretty amazing if I do say so myself.  Don't be discouraged by the amount of ingredients, it's mostly spices, and the recipe is super easy.  I hope you enjoy!

Cheesy Chorizo Calzones
1 lb ground pork
1 chipotle in adobo
1 clove garlic
1 T red or white wine vinegar
2 tsp cumin (divided)
1 T kosher salt, plus more to taste
2 T ancho chili powder(divided)
½ to 1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp dried oregano (divided)
¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
1 medium yellow onion
2 T olive oil
1 14.5 oz can of tomatoes
1 cup montery jack cheese, shredded
¼ cup feta cheese
2 T fresh cilantro
1 tube refridgerated pizza dough



Preheat oven to 425*.
For the Chorizo, remove seeds from chipotle pepper.  To a food processor, add chipotle pepper, garlic, vinegar, 1 tsp cumin, salt, 1 T chili powder, cayenne, onion powder, smoked paprika, ¼ tsp oregano, and pepper.  Add ground pork and pulse until all spices are incorporated. 
Slice onion in strips.  Preheat olive oil in a large skillet to medium high heat.  Add onions, cook for 4-5 minutes until soft.  Add chorizo mixture, cook through.  Meanwhile, puree can of tomatoes.  When chorizo is cooked through, add tomato puree and remainder of cumin, chili powder, oregano and salt and pepper to taste.  Simmer and reduce liquid by half. 
Roll out pizza dough and add chorizo mixture on one side of dough, leaving a two inch gap around edges.  Top chorizo mixture with cheeses and cilantro.  Fold over the dough and pinch edges to seal.  Slice 2-3 slits in the top of the dough to allow for steam to escape.  Bake in middle of oven for 10-13 minutes, or until dough is golden brown.  Let cool 2 minutes before cutting and serving.

1 comment:

  1. Erika - can't wait to see what your blog holds! It will be fun stayin' up to date with you and Reece via blogs! Awesome! Hope to see a few "guest posts" by Reece. I've yet to convince Cody to do one!

    ReplyDelete