Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Ranger Cookies

When I was a little girl, I remember trips to my Grandma Shirley's house always included Ranger Cookies.  This was a cookie that I never had anywhere other than Grandma Shirley's.  You couldn't buy them at just any store, you could only get them at Kevin's IGA in Lake Crystal.  These store bought, yummy creations were the perfect treat.  I never even knew one of the main ingredients was coconut (which I'm normally not a fan of) until I came across this recipe many years later.  The recipe is from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, and it takes me back to grandma's house.  :)  Enjoy!

Ranger Cookies

1/2 c butter
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 c flour
1 c quick-cooking rolled oats
1 c coconut
1 c raisins, dried cherries, dried cranberries or mixed dried fruits
(I just made a batch with dried cranberries and added chocolate chips - you can't go wrong with chocolate!)

In a large mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer for 30 seconds.  Add sugars, baking poweder, and baking soda.  Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.  Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.  Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer.  Stir in any remaining flour.  Stir in rolled oats, coconut and dried fruit.  Drop dough 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  Cool on cookie sheet 1 minute and transfer to a cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment