Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Buh-Bye Shampoo: Day 1

I've been reading up on going shampoo-free or "poo-free" for a while and I decided to give it a try.  Of course, shampoo is a very regular part of our everyday lives, so to think about using no shampoo is crazy to most of us.  So why do this?  There are plenty of good, no, GREAT reasons to quit the shampoo cycle.


  • Chemicals:  This is the #1 reason for me.  The chemicals in shampoo (and pretty much EVERY product you can get at the regular old store) just freak me out.  We don't know what all of these unregulated chemicals can do to our bodies, so I'd just like to avoid them for my health and my family's health.  Some of the main offenders include mineral oil (the byproduct of converting crude oil into gasoline! YUCK!) and sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS).  SLS is a know skin irritant and found in anything that can foam up (shampoo, toothpaste, dish soap, body wash, etc.)
  • Cost:  The ingredients you need for going poo-free are baking soda and apple cider vinegar.  You can buy these in bulk if you want, and they are much cheaper than buying shampoo and conditioner, which is mostly water anyway.
  • It's good for the environment too!  Baking soda and ACV are natural and won't harm the environment, plus I'm contributing less garbage to land fills by not throwing away those empty bottles.
So, Day 1.  What's the verdict?  I think it's good so far.  I used about a tablespoon of baking soda in my palm, got it wet to make a paste and scrubbed away.  Rinsed.  Then took a tablespoon of ACV in a cup and added about a cup of water and rinsed my hair.  I won't have to do this step every day, only 2-3 times per week.  Eventually I hope to be washing my hair less, although I'm still going to use hair products like hair spray, so I'll have to rinse that out.  

Right now my hair is clean and shiny and looks great.  We'll see how it goes from here.

Here are some sites I read before doing the experiment myself.

Also, if you just search "shampoo free" you will find TONS more.  Okay, that's all for now.  More updates to follow as I continue my experiment!

No comments:

Post a Comment